Idler Pulley Replacement

Maintenance Tutorials, Mods, Guides and Write Up's
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Idler Pulley Replacement

Post by Irving Zisman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:38 am

I am going to post this for those who need to replace or are thinking of replacing the idler pulleys on the FJ. It is very confusing which pulleys to get as there are 3 different types of pulleys and 4 pulleys in total.

Disclaimer: This is for 07-09 model FJ's. I am uncertain if the newer models are the same part numbers.

2 of the pulleys are the same. These are the pulleys next to the alternator and power steering pump (Idler No. 2).

The pulley on the very bottom below the AC compressor is a double bearing pulley (Idler No. 1).

There is a pulley on the tensioner itself that is reverse thread. It is a separate part number form the others (Tensioner).

I have found that Febest Auto Parts has the simplest ordering system for these pulleys.
https://febestparts.com/catalog/cat/PUL ... 7_%5BUS%5D

If using Febest, you will need:
1 x 0188-1GRFE (Idler No. 1)
2 x 0188-2GRFE (Idler No. 2)
1 x 0187-GRJ200 (Tensioner)

Total price minus shipping is $84.92

If you want a new bolt for the tensioner pulley, you would use 0187-GSU45, but you can reuse the old bolt with no issues.

Rock Auto is a little more confusing as they do not label their pulleys like Febest. They simply label their pulleys with an "upper" and "lower" designation, so you have to look carefully at the pictures to in order to get the Tensioner pulley. Idler No. 1 and Idler No. 2 are simple.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toy ... ulley,6956

These are the part numbers I just recently ordered from Rock Auto. I had a spare Idler No. 2 so I only needed to order 3 pulleys.

As you can see, Febest is a little cheaper, but I did get 1 Gates pulley and word on the street is that they are the best. Ill be the judge of that next swimming trip.

Replacing them is very simple. Use a long handle ratchet with a 14mm socket.
Loosen the tensioner and slip the belt off.
All the pulley bolts are 14mm, you just need to remember that the Tensioner pulley is reverse threads.

Should be a 10-30 minute job tops. I will try to take photos of the replacement process and update this post with them.
"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - Abraham Lincoln

SparkyofSoCal
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Re: Idler Pulley Replacement

Post by SparkyofSoCal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:58 pm

Just to add a little side note. I have carried a spare belt for years just to be safe. Then one day it hit me that it would take me forever to figure out how to thread the belt on correctly. I copied a diagram similar to the one you illustrate and since put it with the belt.

BigDouggieDoug
Reactions:

Post by BigDouggieDoug » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Sparky made an appearance!!! :text-woo:
TRAIL SNAIL . '07 FJC

Wheelinyotas
Contributer
Contributer
Reactions:

Post by Wheelinyotas » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:19 pm

I’m going to upgrade to Chris’ diagram :text-woo:

Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 am

SparkyofSoCal wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:58 pm
Just to add a little side note. I have carried a spare belt for years just to be safe. Then one day it hit me that it would take me forever to figure out how to thread the belt on correctly. I copied a diagram similar to the one you illustrate and since put it with the belt.
Excellent advice Sparky. I always carry a spare belt, but never thought about the diagram. What happened to the good ole days when they used to stamp the belt diagram on the under side of the hood?

Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:22 am

Ok, well its damn near impossible to get a good photo of the idler pulleys with the fan and shroud still attached, but this is the best I could do. New pulleys installed.

Wheelinyotas
Contributer
Contributer
Reactions:

Post by Wheelinyotas » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Irving Zisman wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:22 am
Ok, well its damn near impossible to get a good photo of the idler pulleys with the fan and shroud still attached, but this is the best I could do. New pulleys installed.
Assuming you successfully stopped the whine, were you able to determine which pulley was at fault?

Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:55 pm

Wheelinyotas wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:04 pm
Irving Zisman wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:22 am
Assuming you successfully stopped the whine, were you able to determine which pulley was at fault?
Yes. They were all in not great shape, but the real culprit was the Duralast pulley that was closest to the alternator. I had already warrantied that one once, so I said fuck going with Duralast again. You couldnt hardly spin the pulley while it was in your hand because the bearings were so bad.
The others spun just fine but you could tell that they were getting close so I just replaced them. I cleaned up the old ones, minus the Duralast, and put them in the back for emergency road spares.

Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:06 am

OK, so here is an update that will save you a lot of money. Wish I would have done this sooner. I looked up the part number on the old bearing in the bad idler pulley and was able to find them on Amazon. 2 new bearings for $10. https://www.amazon.com/XiKe-15x42x13mm- ... ial&sr=1-3

Keep in mind this is for the Idler No. 2 pulleys. The tensioner and Idler No. 1 pulley are a different bearing.

I watched this redneck press the bearings out with a hammer, so I figured I would give it a try.

Low and behold, the bearing pressed right out with a hammer and socket. I pressed the new bearing in using the same method. I now have a brand new idler pulley for $5! I highly recommend this route. Much better than $25-35 for a new pulley.

Bad bearing pressed out-

Used a 29mm socket to press the new bearing in-

Rebuilt idler pulley-

JTFJ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by JTFJ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:43 pm

That's awesome! :thumbup: But who has a 29 mm socket laying around? Maybe I should have one? Does 29mm go on anything else on the cruiser? That's near 1 1/8" to 1 1/4", not sure if I have one of those but might have a piece of pipe to make it work. I am definitely going to do this with mine, they are starting to make more noise than I like, but they held out for the near 900 miles I did this week in Vegas and around there, red rocks, valley of fire, mt charlston where the snow is still! Tons of fun and good weather for exploring the desert. We got on a trail in red rocks and after a few miles it turned to boulders and we had to turn around. :sad: