What did you do to your FJ recently?

Say anything you want here
JTFJ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Re: What did you do to your FJ recently?

Post by JTFJ »

I had a P0300(misfire), P0304(misfire cyl 4), and a MAF code this week. I have a small miss sometimes when I start it, usually goes away quickly, yesterday it threw the code and it was a large miss for a couple miles until I shut it off. I waited 20 minutes, it started fine, drove home fine. I pulled the plugs today, the white one in the center of last 2 pics is the #4 cyl that threw the code, first pic of plugs is other bank, plugs are 20-30k miles old. I've had cyl 6 misfire last year so I put 6 coil in #4, so I think I need to buy a new coil. With 196k on them, should I get all 6? $200 at rockauto.
I've had the MAF code before, clean it often since I use a K+N and a Green oil air filter, even replaced it because it was popping a code after a few hundred miles on a newly oiled filter. I did notice dust getting past the filter, already cleaned the throttle body last year, noticed the build up in the intake manifold, might have to go back to paper air filters. I noticed a bit of carbon on the tops of all the pistons (196k miles), I just ran a couple cans of sea foam in the gas tank, thought it would clean all that up, maybe need the seafoam in the intake while it is running?
Unrelated(I hope), I've been losing coolant, only sign of loss is out the overflow, found my rad cap is not holding pressure so I hope a new one solves the missing coolant. I see no signs of it in the tailpipe, has never overheated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

You might check Amazon as well for the coil packs. I picked up 4 new packs for my Camry for around $20. They are Chinese crap, but I have had zero issues with them.
"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - Abraham Lincoln
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

I did some upgrades today. I noticed that after our last trip through Holcomb and Gold Mountain that one of my rear LCAs had taken a hit and was bent significantly. So I decided to beef them up with the MetalTech kit. New LCAs and upper links.

As you can see, the bushings on my old links were completely worn out.

mk-Zero
Contributer
Contributer
Reactions:

Post by mk-Zero »

Wow, you bent that LCA up pretty good! Your Fj should be pretty bomb-proof now! 8-)
-Brian
2010 FJ
1955 VW Beetle
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

For the longest time, I have been trying to track down a clicking sound that was coming from the front drivers side. This clicking sound was happening whenever the suspension would flex pretty hard so it really only happened when I was off road. In this video from our last AAT day, you can hear the click as the front end flexes over the rocks.

Yesterday, I was going through the thread from that trip and revisiting pics an videos that everyone had posted. I got to the end of the thread and was looking at the pic that I posted of my CV boot after I had re-clamped it.

This is the picture:

All the sudden, there it was, right in front of me this whole time.

The Goddamn sway bar link was loose and visibly obvious in the picture. As soon as I got home from work, I crawled underneath to check. It was barely finger tight. How it stayed on all this time is just amazing to me. I torqued it back down and after jumping up and down on the front bumper, I can no longer hear the click. I will be ecstatic if this resolves the clicking noise. I suppose I will find out soon if I make it to the Como Chingas Gold Mountain run on the 28th.
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

It finally cooled off enough for me to get my AllPro sliders installed. I ordered them bare metal as I was no paying an extra $100 for powdercoat plus another $100 for shipping after powdercoating. Instead I opted to just rattle-can them flat black.

Got them cleaned and prepped for primer-

Hit them with the primer-

After the primer dried, I coated them with the flat black-

After all the paint was dry, I got them mounted.

They did get a little dirty from my hands as I mounted them, and yes, my FJ needs to be washed.
mk-Zero
Contributer
Contributer
Reactions:

Post by mk-Zero »

Those look great! :thumbup:
-Brian
2010 FJ
1955 VW Beetle
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
Wheelinyotas
Contributer
Contributer
Reactions:

Post by Wheelinyotas »

Now it’s time to test out your new rails!