What did you do to your FJ recently?

Say anything you want here
mk-Zero
Contributer
Contributer
Reactions:

Re: What did you do to your FJ recently?

Post by mk-Zero »

2nds on the skyjacker links, a bunch of us run them. They're beefy as hell.
-Brian
2010 FJ
1955 VW Beetle
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

Picked up a 100 watt solar panel from Harbor Freight this weekend plus a solar charge controller from Amazon.
$86 for the panel and $15 for the controller.
After testing the panel with a multimeter, I found that it exceeds its power ratings so I am very pleased with it.

It was a bitch mounting it to the roof rack, but after many swear words and scraped knuckles, I managed to succeed.

I also made a shitty little rack in the back of the FJ for the charge controller and a 400 watt power inverter. I set the charge controller to keep my battery charged at 14.5 volts. The XS Power battery I have requires higher than the normal 13.7.

So far, I am very happy with how it performs. And for right around $100, the price was right.

"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - Abraham Lincoln
mk-Zero
Contributer
Contributer
Reactions:

Post by mk-Zero »

:clap:
Nice work Chris! Takes up a lot of space on your rack though, does it leave enough room for everything you need to put up there for camping?
-Brian
2010 FJ
1955 VW Beetle
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

I hope so. I figure I can still get a couple gas cans and an ice chest up there if needed. Only time will tell I suppose. On the long trips like the Mojave trail, I usually take the back seats out for that extra space. Getting stuff on and off the roof is a PIA so I only do when its absolutely needed.
mk-Zero
Contributer
Contributer
Reactions:

Post by mk-Zero »

The other issue with having it mounted like that is that you can't tilt it toward the sun during the day. It makes a huge difference in terms of the output. And forget parking in the shade. I have my panel free and about 30' of cord so I can put it in the sun and re-aim it at the sun during the day. Just food for thought.
-Brian
2010 FJ
1955 VW Beetle
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

The main reason I want it is to keep my battery topped up throughout the times when I am not driving it. My FJ will sit sometimes months and I neglect to start it or drive it during those times. I went to start it the other day and it just barely started. My hopes is that this panel will keep the battery maintained, with the added benefit of running a blender for margaritas at the campsite :D
JTFJ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by JTFJ »

You guys were talking 'bout your tailpipes, so I thought I'd show mine off too! It's a TRD and it still looks good. I've had it pinched between the bumper and a rock a few times, still oval, hardly looks abused at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk-Zero
Contributer
Contributer
Reactions:

Post by mk-Zero »

Wooooo, 10 horsepower right there! :banana-explosion:
-Brian
2010 FJ
1955 VW Beetle
JTFJ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by JTFJ »

mk-Zero wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:57 pm Wooooo, 10 horsepower right there! :banana-explosion:
Is that why I'm faster than ya'll?
JTFJ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by JTFJ »

I had to wash off a few pounds of Utah mud after a week on 72" UTV trails a FS roads around Duck Creek and Bryce. It's amazing and we should plan a trip sometime. Worst part is the dust there, or if it rains, mud. And the drive there, about 7 or 8 hours. I put the FJ on the trailer and tow it so I can load the truck up and still do 80 and get 14 MPG's, gotta love the cummins!

I found my front tire was bottoming out on the inside fender and bent the seam where my feet would be when sitting in it. I bent it back with a hammer and pushed it in a little further for more clearance. I really need new body mounts, mine seem to be squashed down and the body bolts are tight with a lot of threads showing. I decided to make a bump stop shim out of some scrap aluminum for the Wheelers bump stops, stuck it on with VHB (very high bond) Tape, we'll see how that works out. I did glue a couple pieces of Aluminum together years ago and they will not let loose of each other, even now many years later. It's pressure sensitive so I'll leave the clamp on it overnight. I made some steel ones for the rear Icon air bumps last year, they seem to work well, need to readjust the bumps, only getting half stroke on them before its bottomed out on the Wheelers bumps.

I also found my new King shocks have worn out the bottom mount on the front struts. Totally worn out, like 1/4" of play, lift car grab wheel and feel it move up and down, even see it, I made a vid, not sure how to post without youtube. :angry-banghead: :angry-fire: So now I have to take these off, send them in, wait months to get them back, but I dont want to put my fj to bed for the summer, so buy a set of struts at corner store so I can at least drive it? :angry-banghead: :angry-fire:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.