What did you do to your FJ recently?

Say anything you want here
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

What did you do to your FJ recently?

Post by Irving Zisman »

The other forums have this topic, so why not us? Ill get it started.

Gonna be giving the FJ a little love soon. Ive never touched the plugs on it so it will be interesting to see what I find.

"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - Abraham Lincoln
Sanderhawk
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Re: What did you do to your FJ recently?

Post by Sanderhawk »

I installed my new front sway bar links. I will install the rear links when I rotate the tires. I also took over an hour to grease the front two zerks on the ball joints instead of ten seconds that a normal grease job takes. Had to basically take apart the front of the truck to have enough room to grease...….fun times :)
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

Got around to changing the plugs this morning. I have never changed them, and it currently has 141k on it. I bought it with 100k. To my surprise, it had Autolite Iridium plugs in it, but they were pretty worn. My assumption is that the OEM were most likely replaced with these Autolite around the 30k mark. Only 2 of the plugs were in spec and one was way out. New Denso Iridium are in at .040 so I should be good for a long time :thumbup:
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

Going to try a new type of grease on my FJ. I dont know why I didnt think of this sooner seeing how I work at a CAT dealer.
All of the guys on our parts counter say that some of their customers that are hardcore off road enthusiasts use this grease. CAT Desert Gold (and its black, not gold). Supposedly it can take an extreme amount of heat and its very sticky so it can be used on UCA bushings. At $4.32 for a 14oz tube (my price) I dont see how I can go wrong.

Sanderhawk
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Sanderhawk »

Its starting to cool off a bit up here so I`ll probly install the rear sway bar links and rotate the tires on Wednesday. I`ll see how I feel on Wednesday might need to go shooting instead :)
ocdiver
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by ocdiver »

I put Icon 2.5 coil overs on right before FJ Summit. I noticed a HUGE difference on the trails and I have been wheeling the crud out of it. It feels so much more capable now.
08 Sandstorm, Baja rack with 50" LED light bar, Demello hybrid sliders, Icon 2.5's front and rear with Icon UCA's, US Offroad bumper with two 2" LED's, Enco 9,000lb winch, synthetic line, and Ham radio.
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

ocdiver wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:04 am I put Icon 2.5 coil overs on right before FJ Summit. I noticed a HUGE difference on the trails and I have been wheeling the crud out of it. It feels so much more capable now.
Been looking at coilover options for my rig. Its that $1600-2000 price tag that keeps me from pulling the trigger. For now, Ill stick to my Bilstein 5100s and TRD springs up front.
ocdiver
Noob
Noob
Reactions:

Post by ocdiver »

Irving Zisman wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:48 am
ocdiver wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:04 am I put Icon 2.5 coil overs on right before FJ Summit. I noticed a HUGE difference on the trails and I have been wheeling the crud out of it. It feels so much more capable now.
Been looking at coilover options for my rig. Its that $1600-2000 price tag that keeps me from pulling the trigger. For now, Ill stick to my Bilstein 5100s and TRD springs up front.
It took me 8 years to finally pull the trigger but I am so glad I did! It is closer to $3K because you really need to replace the UCA's to get the full benefit of the coil overs. It will be extremely difficult to get the alignment right without them.
08 Sandstorm, Baja rack with 50" LED light bar, Demello hybrid sliders, Icon 2.5's front and rear with Icon UCA's, US Offroad bumper with two 2" LED's, Enco 9,000lb winch, synthetic line, and Ham radio.
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

ocdiver wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:19 pm
Irving Zisman wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:48 am
It took me 8 years to finally pull the trigger but I am so glad I did! It is closer to $3K because you really need to replace the UCA's to get the full benefit of the coil overs. It will be extremely difficult to get the alignment right without them.
Ive already pulled the trigger on the UCA's. $600 for Camburg UCA's was much easier to come up with than the $ for the coil overs.
Irving Zisman
Admin
Admin
Reactions:

Post by Irving Zisman »

Early Xmas to me :D